Is your air hockey puck dragging, stopping, or curving? You might have a dirty or clogged air hockey table. It can quickly ruin your game. The puck slides on a thin layer of air. If any air holes get clogged, the puck can come to a game-losing stop.
Good News! It doesnâ€™t have to be an issue anymore! Read my tips on how to clean your air hockey table.
How to Clean an Air Hockey Table
It’s easy to clean an air hockey table. There are four easy steps to follow. You’ll start by learning how to clean your air hockey table with a vacuum. Then you’ll see how to wipe stains away with window cleaner. Next, you’ll find out how to easily polish your air hockey table. Lastly, you will clear away any blockages in the air holes. When you are finished, you’ll end up with a clean, shiny air hockey table that works like new.
- Clean Your Air Hockey Table with a Vacuum
- Wipe Stains Away with Window Cleaner
- Polish Your Air Hockey Table
- Clear Any Blocked Air Holes
You Will Need
- A toothpick or needle.
- A strong household vacuum cleaner or shop vac.
- Several lint-free cloths (buy on Amazon).
- Felt, if necessary, for the mallets. You can also buy the felt pads in various sizes on Amazon.
- A mild glass cleaner (buy on Amazon).
- A can of furniture polish. (buy on Amazon).
- Instead of polish, you can use a can of car wax. (buy on Amazon)
Step 1: Vacuum Your Air Hockey Table
Air hockey tables have air holes running across the top. When dirt and debris fall into them, they can become clogged. When an air hole isn’t working correctly, the puck will behave all willy-nilly. This can destroy your gameplay fast. You will want to avoid plugging up the holes with dust and grime. So the best solution is to vacuum the playing surface.
Vacuuming removes dirt without pushing it into the holes. It is the best way to clear any stubborn clogs. Be careful not to scrape the tabletop!
- Shut the air blower off and unplug your air hockey table.
- Using the soft brush attachment, run the vacuum gently over the entire tabletop to remove dust and dirt in the air holes.
- Locate the fan motor mounted underneath the air hockey table and aim the vacuum hose at it.
- Turn the air blower back on before wiping the table down.
- Use a damp cloth to gently wipe the playing surface. Wipe the table dry with another lint-free cloth.
- Vacuum the bottoms of the goalie mallets and replace the felt if necessary.
- Run the vacuum down each leg to remove any dust or cobwebs, as well.
Step 2: Wipe Stains Away with Window Cleaner
The second step to clean your air hockey table is to use window cleaner. It will wipe away all the stains and stickiness. This will prepare the surface for the final step, which is polishing.
Glass cleaner will make your air hockey table smooth and shiny. It also will remove any stickiness and stains. Don’t scrub too hard! You want to remove the stains, not the finish or markings.
- Do a spot check in a small corner of the table to make sure the colors won’t fade or bleed.
- Spray a clean cloth with glass cleaner and gently wipe the air hockey playing surface. Always spray onto the cloth and not on the table.
- Wipe gently until it is completely dry.
- Polish each leg and the sides of the table, as well.
Step 3: Polish Your Air Hockey Table
The final step is to add some shine and smoothness to the air hockey table. Use furniture polish or wax. This will keep the puck moving freely. It will also avoid scratches and dents from forming on the surface.
Use Furniture Polish or Wax
Furniture polish or wax helps the puck glide. It keeps dirt from sticking to the table surface. First, clean any excess debris. Then use the smallest amount of polish possible.
- Spray the furniture polish directly onto the cloth and wipe the air hockey table gently. Use the minimum amount of polish and never spray on the table directly.
- You can use a small amount of car wax instead by applying it in a circular motion.
- Buff lightly with a clean cloth when dry.
- Polish the pucks and mallets to keep them slick and dirt-free, too.
- Clean and polish the table legs, too.
Step 4: Clear Any Blocked Air Holes
To make sure the air is blowing freely in your air hockey table, be sure to regularly check the air holes and keep them clear. After all the polishing and wiping, there may be some debris in the air holes to clear out. Here’s how to keep the air flowing freely during your games:
- Turn the air blower on to make it easier to check for blocked air holes.
- Clear any clogged holes with a toothpick or needle, carefully picking the obstruction up and away from the hole to remove it from the table.
- After you have cleaned each plugged hole with a toothpick, wipe the table down and shut it off.
Keeping Your Air Hockey Tabletop Clean and Protected
After cleaning your air hockey table, cover it! Keeping your air hockey table covered is the easiest way to keep your hockey table clean. It only takes minutes to cover your air hockey table between each use, but it will save you lots of time in the long run.
What You Can Use To Cover Your Air Hockey Table
You can use any of the following materials to cover your air hockey table:
- Thick plastic sheeting cut to size.
- Lightweight plywood cut to size and sanded smooth. Cut it into two equal sections to make them easier to use. Also, add basic handles on the plywood to quickly lift the covers on and off.
- Plexiglass also works as well as plywood.
- A tablecloth draped over the air hockey table will also keep it clean.
- A commercially-made cover you can purchase online, such as those at Amazon.com.
Also, avoid placing unnecessary items on your air hockey table. It should be ready and waiting for you to use at any time.
Time to Start Cleaning
These four steps, including vacuuming, wiping, polishing and clearing out the air holes will help keep your hockey table working like new for many fun games.
Air hockey tables present a unique cleaning challenge, no thanks to the many air holes on the table surface. But with a little time and effort, it’s easy to keep your hockey table, as well as all your games, sports equipment, and other recreational items clean and in good shape.