If you’re not familiar with how to clean pool table felt, it can seem like a daunting task. The felt on a pool table is delicate and can be easily damaged if it’s not cleaned properly. But with the right tools and techniques, cleaning your pool table felt can be a simple and straightforward process.
Experts say that with a clean and well-maintained pool table felt, you can expect a smoother and more consistent playing surface. You might be surprised to find that a clean felt can make a big difference in the overall performance and enjoyment of your pool table. Additionally, regular cleaning and maintenance can extend the lifespan of your felt and keep it looking and playing its best for years to come.
Overview of the Cleaning Process
To clean pool table felt, you will need a soft-bristled brush, a vacuum with a brush attachment, and a pool table felt cleaner specifically designed for the type of felt on your table. Use the brush to gently remove debris from the felt, then use the vacuum to suction up any remaining dirt. Apply a small amount of felt cleaner evenly across the table and let it sit for the recommended amount of time before wiping it off with a damp cloth. Use a dry cloth to thoroughly dry the felt, and use a pool table iron to smooth out any wrinkles or bumps in the felt.
You Will Need the Following:
To clean pool table felt, you will need the following items:
- a hand vacuum with brush attachment
- a soft-bristled brush (or billiard brush)
- a mild detergent (or felt cleaner)
- lint-free cloth
- pool table iron
- Gently brush the surface of the felt to remove debris
- Use a vacuum with a brush attachment to suction up remaining dirt
- Apply felt cleaner evenly across the table
- Let the cleaner sit for the recommended amount of time
- Wipe off the cleaner with a damp cloth
- Use a dry cloth to thoroughly dry the felt
- Use a pool table iron to smooth out any wrinkles or bumps in the felt.
Lets get started!
Step 1: Brush off surface debris
First, use the brush to gently remove any debris or dirt from the surface of the felt.
Be careful not to brush too hard as this can damage the fibers of the felt.
Billiard brushes are a necessity when it comes to owning a pool table. They can also be a cheap way of keeping it clean. So as often as necessary, take your brush and dust your cloth from the head of the table to the foot of the table with slow, straight strokes. Do NOT brush in a circular motion, brush in a back-and-forth motion. This will prevent creating any permanent creases in the felt
Make sure to brush beneath the bumper overhangs to remove any other dust and chalk bits.
Step 2: Vacuum remaining dirt
Next, use the vacuum with the brush attachment to suction up any remaining dirt or debris.
Again, be gentle to avoid damaging the felt.
Do NOT use a standard vacuum as this creates too much suction and can stretch your cloth. Do not use a vacuum without a brush attachment, as the suction alone can damage the felt.
Step 3: Apply felt cleaner
Once the surface of the felt is clean, use a small amount of felt cleaner and apply it evenly across the table using a clean, soft cloth.
Use a felt cleaner specifically designed for the type of felt on your pool table. This will ensure that the cleaner is safe and effective for your particular felt.
Only use a small amount of cleaner, as too much can leave a sticky residue on the felt and affect its playing surface.
Avoid using household cleaners or abrasive chemicals, as these can damage the felt and make it more prone to staining or discoloration.
Step 4: Let cleaner sit
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for how long to let the felt cleaner sit on the table. This will ensure that the cleaner has enough time to effectively remove any stains or dirt without damaging the felt.
Avoid letting the cleaner sit for too long, as this can cause it to dry and become difficult to remove. Letting the cleaner sit on the felt for too long can cause the felt to become stiff or brittle.
Step 5: Wipe off felt cleaner
Use a damp cloth to wipe off the felt cleaner, rather than a wet one. This will prevent the felt from becoming too wet and developing mold or mildew.
Avoid using too much water, as this can cause the felt to become oversaturated and lead to warping or shrinkage.
Step 6: Dry felt thoroughly
After the cleaner has been wiped off, use a dry cloth to dry the felt thoroughly.
Be sure to get into all the corners and edges of the table to prevent the felt from becoming damp and developing mold or mildew. Water can tend to collect there.
This will prevent the felt from becoming damp and developing mold or mildew.
Avoid using a heat source, such as a hair dryer, to speed up the drying process, as this can damage the felt.
Step 7: Iron out wrinkles
Once the felt is completely dry, you can use a pool table iron to smooth out any wrinkles or bumps in the felt.
Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using the iron and always use a low heat setting to avoid damaging the felt.
Avoid using a regular household iron, as the heat and pressure from this type of iron can damage the felt. Use a pool table iron specifically designed for smoothing out wrinkles in felt.
Keeping This Pool Table Felt Clean
Maintenance is an important part of pool table ownership and shouldnâ€™t be seen as a chore. And regardless of how much time you spend cleaning it, it will inevitably take your child or pet a fraction of that time to ruin it. So keep your eyes open, your table covered and your belt ready.
Regularly brush and vacuum the felt
One expert tip for keeping your pool table felt clean is to regularly brush and vacuum the felt to remove any dirt or debris. This will prevent the dirt from building up and potentially staining or damaging the felt.
Use a Vinyl Cover
The simplest way of keeping the felt of your pool table clean is using a vinyl cover. A vinyl cover is cheap and easily protects your cloth from dust, pets and children; the worst offenders of them all.
The cover keeps unwanted pet dander and hair away as well as your childrenâ€™s Kool-Aid and all the other sugary items they seem to constantly be in possession of. Even if you donâ€™t have kids or pets, a vinyl cover is still a good idea.
Avoid eating or drinking near the table
Additionally, avoiding eating or drinking near the pool table will prevent spills and stains from ruining the felt.
Key Take Aways
As an expert in pool table felt cleaning and maintenance, I would say that the top 5 considerations anyone trying to learn about this topic are:
- Cleaning and maintaining your pool table felt is essential for keeping it looking and playing its best. Regular cleaning and maintenance can extend the lifespan of the felt and prevent it from becoming stained or damaged.
- The felt on a pool table is delicate and can be easily damaged if it’s not cleaned properly. Specialized cleaning products and techniques are necessary to avoid damaging the felt and maintain its smooth and consistent playing surface.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance are key to keeping your pool table felt looking and playing its best. This includes brushing and vacuuming the felt to remove dirt and debris, using a felt cleaner to remove stains and dirt, and drying and ironing the felt to smooth out any wrinkles or bumps.
- It’s important to use the right tools and techniques when cleaning your pool table felt. This includes using a soft-bristled brush, a vacuum with a brush attachment, and a pool table felt cleaner specifically designed for the type of felt on your table.
- In addition to regular cleaning and maintenance, using a vinyl cover can help prevent the felt from becoming dirty or damaged.
Overall, cleaning pool table felt requires a gentle hand and the use of specialized cleaning products to avoid damaging the delicate fibers of the felt. With regular cleaning and maintenance, you can keep your pool table felt looking and playing its best.
A clean felt is a happy felt – and a happy felt means better billiards!